The purpose of this Caucus is to implement the first ever Rural Plank as adopted in the CDP 2018 Platform by educating elected and appointed officials on its contents and purpose, help candidates adopt it as part of their campaign platforms and utilize it as talking points in voter engagement.
These are our goals and plans for addressing the important issues in our rural communities:
CDP 2018 Platform – Rural Plank
California draws strength from our diversity, both culturally and geographically. The economy of California is built on the combination of the robust commercial and industrial enterprise of our urban areas and the abundant natural resources of our rural areas.
In recognition of the special challenges in developing policies and programs that work in rural communities, California Democrats will:
- Encourage elected officials to consider the effect of any new policies or programs on rural California, by asking, “Is it fair and will it work in rural California communities?”
- Support legislation that provides funding for equal services to all communities, in order to enhance the vibrant culture and economy of rural areas.
- Ensure that rural residents have reliable, clean, safe, and affordable water and waste disposal
- Support equitable distribution of state resources, programs, and tax dollars based on need, not population.
- Support policies that allow lawful and responsible gun ownership for hunting and self-protection, compliant with California’s gun safety and background check laws and regulations.
- Maintain a lasting and respectful relationship with Tribal Nations and oppose all attempts to diminish tribal sovereignty, tribal culture, land and natural resources, and the general welfare of tribes.
- Build a stronger rural and agricultural economy, with sound conservation practices and environmentally sustainable business and agriculture.
- Support stronger agricultural worker protections, including regulation of work hours and worker safety, elimination of child labor, adequate housing for migrant workers, and sanitary facilities in the field.
- Promote collaborative stewardship of our finite natural resources, including land, water, wilderness, forests, and other resources, by providing assistance to producers who conserve and improve natural resources on their land.
- Support strengthening rural broadband infrastructure in order to make rural businesses more competitive.
- Create a rural economic development plan for all rural communities regardless of county population.
- Encourage rural business growth and development of infrastructure, such as water, sewer, power, Internet, and transportation, in order to retain and create jobs.